Are you looking for a family doctor? Here are some suggestions:
- Visit the Pathways Medical Care Directory. The directory helps you connect with family doctors in your community.
- Contact HealthLink BC using the 8-1-1 toll-free number (If you are hearing impaired, call 7-1-1.). You will be able to speak to a health service navigator who can provide you with information about finding a family doctor in your own community. For example, some communities have services (delivered through the local Divisions of Family Practice) that can help to connect you with a doctor who is taking new patients. The health service navigator can also provide information about walk-in clinics in your area that may be able to provide ongoing care for you or your family member.
- Your local Division of Family Practice who may have knowledge of family physicians who are accepting new patients: https://www.divisionsbc.ca
- Ask your family or friends to introduce you to their own family doctor. Sometimes a doctor may take you on referral from an existing patient.
- If you are visiting another health care provider, such as a specialist, ask them if they know of any family doctors that are accepting patients.
- If you are visiting a walk-in clinic, ask the doctor if they would be willing to take you on as a patient.
Making the most of your appointment
The relationship that you have with your family doctor is important for your ongoing health. HealthLink BC has some useful tips on how to make the most of your visits and work in partnership with your family doctor.