BC Family Doctor Day is our annual opportunity to recognize the work of more than 6,000 family doctors who practise in communities across our province.
Held on May 19 each year, this day of recognition has now been adopted across Canada. The date coincides with World Family Doctor Day, the international day of celebration set by the World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA).
Highlighting lifelong care
This year’s BC Family Doctor Day focused on the lifelong care provided by family physicians and celebrated the recipients of the 2019 BCCFP awards.
- Read about this year’s family physicians and family medicine residents who are receiving awards.
- Learn more about the important role that family doctors play in our health care system.
- Watch our new videos to meet of some of BC’s family doctors and learn what makes family medicine unique.
- View the Why I Love My Family Doctor video sharing the words of some of the patients who nominated their family doctors for this year’s My Family Doctor Awards.
- Read about BC Family Doctor Day and this year’s award recipients:
BC Medical Journal (BCMJ)
Vancouver Sun and The Province
Prince George Citizen
Kamloops This Week
Member Statement BC Legislature
Why are family doctors important?
Family doctors specialize in providing lifelong care for you and your family.
Your first point of contact with the health care system, family doctors are experts in diagnosing and treating the whole person. Family doctors care for patients in the office, the hospital, other health care facilities or the patient’s home.
Family doctors play a unique role in BC’s health care system.
Family doctors study family medicine, a certified medical specialty, and are trained to deal with any health problem. Family doctors also play an increasingly important role in the early identification of disease.
Having your own family doctor is good for your health!
Research shows that continuity in patient care – developing a relationship with your family doctor – provides better health outcomes for patients. Family doctors advocate for you and work with specialists and other health care professionals to provide patient-centred care. They also work with you to prevent illness and promote healthy living.
Download our infographic about family doctors and family medicine.