Held on May 19 each year, this day of recognition has now been adopted across Canada. The date coincides with World Family Doctor Day, the international day of celebration set by the World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA). This year’s theme is Building the Future with Family Doctors.
2021 BC Family Doctor Day media coverage
- Burnaby doctor honoured with college award for exceptional work
- Celebrate BC Family Doctor Day on May 19
- Local doctors win awards: two Okanagan doctors win awards from BCCFP
- Longtime Hope physician Joshua Greggain wins award after being nominated by colleague
- Northern doctors receive prestigious awards
- North Van physician honoured with family doctor award
- Port Coquitlam doctor recognized for nearly 40 years of multigenerational family care
Family doctors are good for your health
The 2021 BC Family Doctor Day focuses on the value of relationship-based, comprehensive, longitudinal care provided by family physicians and celebrates the recipients of the 2021 BCCFP awards.
We’re letting British Columbians know that family doctors are good for their health: evidence shows that long-term care from a family doctor leads to fewer hospitalizations, lower mortality, better overall health outcomes, and higher satisfaction with the health care system. Through our My Family Doctor Cares website, we’re helping British Columbians find a family doctor who will get to know and care for them throughout all stages of life.
Celebrating the specialty of family medicine
This year, we’re also celebrating the specialist skillset of family physicians. Family physicians are specialists in delivering relationship-based, comprehensive, longitudinal care. Their practice is centred around the patient-doctor relationship, which extends across all ages, health conditions and settings. They apply a specialist skillset to manage a patient’s journey from the preventative health stage, through to diagnosis, treatment, and resolution.
- Find out why relationship-based, comprehensive, longitudinal care from a family physician is best
- Learn more about the important role that family doctors play in our health care system.
- Find a family doctor and read more about the services they provide.
Why are family doctors important?
Family doctors specialize in providing lifelong care for you and your family.
Your first point of contact with the health care system, family doctors are experts in diagnosing and treating the whole person. Family doctors care for patients in the office, the hospital, other health care facilities or the patient’s home. They may also provide care via phone and video appointments in response to COVID-19 physical distancing guidelines.
Family doctors play a unique role in BC’s health care system.
Family doctors study family medicine, a certified medical specialty, and are trained to deal with any health problem. Family doctors also play an increasingly important role in the early identification of disease.
Having your own family doctor is good for your health!
Research shows that continuity in patient care – developing a relationship with your family doctor – provides better health outcomes for patients. Family doctors advocate for you and work with specialists and other health care professionals to provide patient-centred care. They also work with you to prevent illness and promote healthy living.
Download our infographic about family doctors and family medicine.