We are hosting Pallium Canada’s Learning Essential Approaches to Palliative Care (LEAP) core online course for rural and remote family physicians in BC on August 9 and 16, 2023. These sessions will be half days from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.
LEAP was created for healthcare professionals working in the community and provides the essential skills and competencies of the palliative care approach. It is evidence-based, peer-reviewed and evaluated and updated regularly.
This online course includes 16 self-directed and interactive online modules completed at your own pace (approximately 8 hours of work); 2 three-hour online webinars led by a LEAP facilitator where you will work through cases and discuss the online modules; and an electronic copy of the Pallium palliative pocketbook.
Upon completion of LEAP Core Online, learners should be able to:
- promote and undertake advance care planning discussions
- assess and manage pain; delirium; gastrointestinal symptoms, hydration, and nutrition; and dyspnea
- recognize/diagnose depression, anxiety, and grief and initiate treatment plans
- develop plans to address spiritual, religious, or psychosocial needs
- initiate essential discussions related to palliative and end-of-life care in daily work
- prepare patients and families for last days and hours
- understand and apply the criteria to be met before initiating palliative sedation
This Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 24 Mainpro+ credits.
Through a generous bequest of one of our members, we have funding to subsidize the registration fees for those interested in this online course.
If you are a BCCFP member, please fill in the registration form below and a member of our team will be in touch with further details.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.