The BCCFP is pleased to recognize a number of new recipients of our College Coin honour, including Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry.
Our College Coin honours everyday heroes in family medicine – the family physicians we admire for serving as role models, providing leadership, advocating for evidence-based care, and demonstrating service and dedication to patients.
While the award is typically reserved for family physicians, we wanted to recognize Dr. Henry’s evidence-informed, calm, diligent and empathetic leadership throughout the onset of COVID-19.
Other recent recipients include:
- Dr. Lester Alec was nominated by a colleague for his efforts in stepping up to support his group by taking extra virtual clinics for doctors who were involved in provincial and national COVID-19 planning meetings. He also supported by providing hands-on care to a remote First Nations community.
- Dr. Bob Bluman is recognized for his work in spearheading the UBC CPD webinars on Primary Care in the Time of COVID-19.
- Dr. Montana Halliday was nominated by a colleague for her active work in the local COVID-19 planning in Prince George. She synthesized essential information for CSFS colleagues to keep them up to date, as well as provided comprehensive care to her outreach community.
- Dr. Dan Pare was nominated by a colleague for his friendly and responsible leadership as the medical director for DTES Connections clinic as well as other efforts in the Downtown Eastside. He embraces team care models and is described as compassionate and committed to his patients and colleagues.
- Dr. Nitasha Puri was nominated by a colleague for her work to improve substance use treatment for racialized groups including the IndoCanadian community. She is active in her Division of FP and is also a clinical researcher with the BCCSU and leading innovative work in PTSD treatment.
- Dr. Marci Fukunaga and Derek Poteyrko are recognized for the Walk and Talk with the Docs – COVID-19 patient information video, which delivered important information to the public in an approachable and timely manner.
- Dr. Alex van Duyvendyk is recognized for her March 2020 petition calling on the BC business community to proactively close and transform their business to maximize social distancing in the face of the pandemic.
- Dr. Tandi Wilkinson is recognized for her contributions towards physician wellness and her article on Taking care of each other during COVID-19 – peer support for physicians.
If you are a BCCFP member and would like to nominate a BC family physician for the College Coin, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org providing the name of the nominee and a few sentences describing why you think they deserve to be recognized.