Ahead of BC Family Doctor Day on May 19, we are celebrating the amazing work of our 6,000+ family physicians in BC and the unique role of family medicine in our health care system.
As part of our celebrations, we are pleased to announce the recipients of the 2020 BCCFP peer- and patient-nominated awards.
Nearly 300 British Columbians took the time to nominate family doctors from across the province. We selected five family doctors from across the province to receive the My Family Doctor Award:
- Dr. Rachel Collins, Agassiz
- Dr. Kalen Geddes, Prince George
- Dr. Peter Lutsky, Vancouver
- Dr. Patricia Olsen, Victoria
- Dr. Mark Szynkaruk, Grand Forks
Thank you all of you who took the time to nominate your colleagues for our Awards of Excellence:
- Our BC Family Physician of the Year is Dr. Tahmeena Ali. Dr. Ali is recognized for her leadership, teaching, research and patient advocacy, particularly with regard to vulnerable populations. She has an active interest in increasing knowledge and awareness around adverse childhood events (ACEs) and is a passionate public speaker who presents to the public as well as to colleagues on a range of health care topics.
- Dr. Lawrence Yang is the recipient of the new Family Medicine Advocate Award. Dr. Yang is passionate about prioritizing physician connectedness for the wellness of the health force and the community at large. He is part of the Primary Care Networks development in Surrey North Delta, which aims to bring family physicians together to collaborate and partner to achieve data-informed community health outcome improvement.
- Dr. Alyssa Cantarutti is the recipient of the First Five Years of Practice Award.
- Our Resident Leadership Award recipient is Dr. Rebekah Eatmon R2 (UBC).
- Dr. Jessica Briggs R1 and Dr. Anmol Lamba R2 received the Dr. Manoo and Jean Gurjar Award.
Read more about our award recipients here.
Help celebrate Family Doctor Day
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter – we’ll be posting about family medicine and sharing the warm words of patients who nominated their patients for My Family Doctor Award. #BCFamilyDoctorDay #MyFamilyDoctorCares
- Download our “thank you” and BC Family Doctor Day images to use on your own social media posts or communications.
- Share the link to www.myfamilydoctorcares.ca to let the public know how they can continue to safely make appointments with their family doctor.
Don’t forget that you can nominate a colleague for a College Coin or Exceptional Teacher honour any day of the year.