Ahead of BC Family Doctor Day on May 19, we are excited to announce the recipients of this year’s BCCFP annual awards!
We received a record number of nominations this year, with almost 400 letters from patients and colleagues who wanted to recognize the outstanding work of family physicians in their community. There were so many stories of kindness, leadership, creativity, community engagement, unwavering support for patients and colleagues, and life-changing care delivered by family physicians. It was a real challenge to select just a few recipients from the many deserving candidates. We hope you will join us in celebrating the nominees and recipients.
Over 350 British Columbians took the time to nominate family doctors from across the province. Five family doctors – one from each health authority – received the My Family Doctor Award:
- Dr. Lauren Baerg, Comox
- Dr. Louise Corcoran, North Vancouver
- Dr. Teresa Cordoni, Port Coquitlam
- Dr. Shu Fung Ho, Vanderhoof
- Dr. Deon Van Rensburg, Cranbrook
Thank you all of you who took the time to nominate your colleagues for our Awards of Excellence:
- Our BC Family Physician of the Year is Dr. Joshua Greggain of Hope and Victoria. Dr. Greggain is recognized for his leadership and advocacy on behalf of the community of Hope, where he has been instrumental in increasing access to care for the town as well as for Indigenous communities in the surrounding areas. He also teaches future generations of family physicians, sharing his love of rural medicine.
- Dr. Birinder Narang is the recipient of the First Five Years of Practice Award. Dr. Narang has made a big impact in his first few years of practice, emerging as a trusted source of public health advice and information throughout the pandemic. He has shown the positive power of family physicians as community leaders.
- Our R2 Resident Award recipients are Dr. Jessica Luksts (Okanagan South), Dr. Maheen Mujtaba (Prince George) and Dr. Irfan Rajani (Victoria).
- Dr. Taran Main (Okanagan Rural/Regional) and Dr. Mei Wen (Vancouver) received the Dr. Manoo and Jean Gurjar Resident Award.
College Coin recipients
We are pleased to recognize a number of new recipients of our year-round College Coin honour, whom you can read about here. Don’t forget that you can nominate a colleague for a College Coin or Exceptional Teacher Honour any day of the year.
Celebrate Family Doctor Day on social media
We’re running a social media prize draw as part of the celebrations. Here’s how you can enter to win a gift basket of local goodies:
- Post on Twitter or Instagram using #BCfamilydoctorday between now and noon on May 21, 2021.
- Tag @bccollegeoffamilyphysicians in your Family Doctor Day Instagram posts between now and noon on May 21.
Each action will count as one entry. The contest is for BCCFP members only.
Stay tuned for more celebrations next week!