The BC College of Family Physicians does not have a list of family physicians who are accepting new patients.
We do have some suggestions for finding a family physician:
- Visit the Pathways Medical Care Directory. The directory helps you connect with family doctors offering phone and video appointments in your community.
- Contact HealthLink BC using the 8-1-1 toll-free number (If you are hearing impaired, call 7-1-1.). You will be able to speak to a health service navigator who can provide you with information about finding a family doctor in your own community. The health service navigator can also provide information about walk-in clinics in your area that may be able to provide ongoing care for you or your family member.
- Your local Division of Family Practice who may have knowledge of family physicians who are accepting new patients: https://www.divisionsbc.ca
- Ask your family or friends to introduce you to their own family doctor. Sometimes a doctor may take you on referral from an existing patient.
- If you are visiting another health care provider, such as a specialist, ask them if they know of any family doctors that are accepting patients.
- If you are visiting a walk-in clinic, ask the doctor if they would be willing to take you on as a patient.
The most effective way for you to address the issue is to contact the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia (CPSBC). The CPSBC is the organization with a mandate to serve the public by regulating BC’s physicians.
The CPSBC oversees the licensure of all family physicians in British Columbia as well as develops the Practice Standards, Professional Guidelines and Legislative Guidance to assist physicians in meeting high standards of medical practice and conduct.
To share your concerns about a physician and/or to file a complaint about a physician, please visit the CPSBC’s website at https://www.cpsbc.ca/for-public/file-complaint, which outlines the process that is involved in further detail.
For licensing requirements in British Columbia please contact the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC at http://www.cpsbc.ca.
CPD accreditation is done online through a system called CERT+. Visit www.certplus.cfpc.ca to sign up for a username and password and access the system.
This system is administered by the College of Family Physicians of Canada. If you have any technical difficulties using the online system please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding accreditation procedures please visit https://www.cfpc.ca/en/education-professional-development/cpd-program-certification/cpd-program-certification
Find a Family Physician
The BC College of Family Physicians provides many services to family physicians. However, we are not directly involved with recruiting family physicians to a specific community or helping patients to find a doctor. If you are looking for a family doctor in your community, here are some suggestions.
Please direct membership status or Mainpro+® credit entry inquiries to our national CFPC office:
Please direct media queries to Erin Gawne, Communications Manager at email@example.com.
BC College of Family Physicians
#330 – 1665 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V6J 1X1
Telephone: +1 604 736 1877
Fax: +1 604 736 4675
Mailing List :
To receive the most up-to-date BCCFP news and early notification of our CPD initiatives, join our mailing list.