Practising Wisely: Reducing Unnecessary Testing and Treatment
Join us for one inspiring day devoted to helping you implement the Practising Wisely approach all while earning up to 18 Mainpro+ certified credits!
Immerse yourself in case studies that reflect real-life scenarios and learn about evidence-based online resources that you can use in your daily practice. Participants will identify opportunities to “practise wisely”, with a focus on reducing over-prescribing, over-imaging, over-screening and over-monitoring using the latest evidence and tools from diverse sources.
This workshop aligns closely with the Choosing Wisely Canada (CWC) campaign to implement good healthcare stewardship and avoid over-medicalization. The program centres on case studies and incorporates individual reflection and group work. It helps participants to build communication skills to guide their patients through the shift from seeking sickness to enhancing health.
After active engagement in this program, participants will be better able to:
- Identify opportunities to reduce “too much medicine”
- Access and assess reliable, renewing online resources
- Integrate relevant evidence into individual patient care
- Communicate and build consensus with patients to reduce over-medicalization.
During this one-day workshop, participants will complete 4 modules:
- Module One – Examine the harms and drivers of too much medicine and explore a four-step approach to applying evidence to patient care with a focus on low back pain and ovarian cysts.
- Module Two – Reliable, renewing online resources are put to work to support practice change. Cases centering on proton pump inhibitors and statins for primary prevention are the focus.
- Module Three – Cancer screening is the topic here as participants differentiate risks and integrate relevant evidence into individual patient-care supported by shared decision-making.
- Module 4 – Evolving the annual physical exam to become a periodic health review personalized for each patient is a key element of this module. Poly pharmacy in the elderly and over-monitoring for diabetes are addressed as well.
Register now for one of three Practising Wisely sessions in Vancouver
- Saturday, September 23, 2017 – 1665 West Broadway, Vancouver BC
- Sunday, September 24, 2017 – 1665 West Broadway, Vancouver BC
- Friday, October 27, 2017 – Westin Bayshore, Vancouver BC
*Registration deadline is September 14, 2017.
The Registration fee is $600 for BCCFP members for up to 18 Mainpro+ certified credits.